A National Monument
The “Damhuis” (literal Dam House) was originally a fish shed on the farm De Melkbosch that was awarded to Christiaan Brand by Governor van de Graaff circa 1785 as reward for services rendered. The thick walls contain amongst other building material of that time, big chunks of whale bones.
The water from a fountain, which exists to this day, formed a dam on the side of the shed hence the name “Damhuis”. The present Beach Road is now where the dam was.The Battle of BlaauwbergThe First Occupants